Filed under Sports

Cloverleaf Boys’ Soccer Finding Their Way

Back to Article
Back to Article

The team will need to continue to be more physical this year and play together.

Submitted by team

Submitted by team

Submitted by team

The Cloverleaf High School boys’ soccer teams have been close a few times in the early go, and they continue to train hard.  They have many returning players and should be able to build a strong program in the near future.

They also gained many new freshmen, and for the first time time in three years, they are fielding a JV team. They will only be losing five seniors after this year.

The team is welcoming a new head coach this year.  Aaron Cummings has been a youth coach for the local travel team, and will look to build the unit from the ground up.

The seniors are excited for the new coach and are ready to welcome all the new kids to the program. They will be looking to help their new coach pick-up some wins this season. This year’s captains are Kenny Jenkins, Carson Billy, And Cole Yagerze.

They all have Varsity experience from the past years. Cole will be running the defensive unit, while Jenkins and Billy will be controlling the midfield and offensive units.

Jenkins believes the team is gelling together well and will be ready to take on the tougher teams this year.

“The boys have a lot of heart out there; they always have each other’s backs and never give up,” Jenkins said.

Although he’d like to win games, he also wants the team to be formed for the years to come after this year’s seniors are gone.

The first game was against Keystone, and is one the boys look forward to all year because they are an old rival and it’s always a good game.

They had a two-goal lead going into halftime. Unfortunately, the young Colts team was not used to playing fast paced, and lost stamina late in the game, as the Wildcats came back to win 3-2 late in the second half. Last year, Keystone dominated the team, so they have made a lot of improvement during the offseason.

The JV team was able to tie their first game against Lake Center Christian. The Colts took an early lead, but the Tigers tied it late. Late in the second half, with the game all tied, there was a foul in the box against the Colts and Lake was awarded a penalty kick. The goalie fortunately dove and saved the game for the Colts.

The Colts will face off at home again on Sept. 11 against Woodridge. They have had trouble with the Bulldogs in the past, and will hope to challenge them this year.

The older kids are ready to prove their worth this year. They want everyone to know that they aren’t a team to mess with. They will have their work cut out for them, but they believe if they stick together and have a strong mental mindset they can upset teams like Woodridge.